Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and the Unethical


I complain a lot about my job. And then I feel bad that I complain, because I HAVE a job! I thank God for letting me have a stable job and have tried to keep a good attitude.
Then I have days, like today, where I'm reminded why I complain. Then I pray for God to deliver me from this job.

It's one thing to be underpaid for what you do (which I am and have been for almost 5 years).
It's another thing to work in an unpleasant environment (which I do. It's a sewer plant and it stinks).
Both of these things I have accepted and have chosen to learn from rather than loathe. I look at it from as humble a perspective as I can, being a spoiled American, and say that I'm able to handle things that others might not and have learned to live with less than others with my same skills and experience might have. According to my faith, these are not bad lessons to learn, no matter how frustrating.

Then there is the issue of ethics. I have to agree with Woodrow Wilson's sentiment when he said he would rather "break than bend." I just CANNOT abide unethical behavior. I can't. The blatant misuse of authority, disregard for policy, and mistreatment of people in my company is more than I can bear. Literally.
I've struggled with this issue over and over in my job and it only continues to get worse. I look, almost daily, for other employment opportunities. I utilize my company's "whistle blowing policy" when issues arise. Unfortunately, it seems that my HR department is just as corrupt as my manager is, or possibly just negligent. I can't say for sure.

What I can say is that I'm done. I've been done for a long time now and I feel like a piece of me dies every time I witness another one of my manager's immoral or unethical behaviors.
But I can't be done.
I have a husband and three beautiful girls who need me to stay in this job. It makes me feel like I'm being torn in half mentally and I'm really tired of it.

The only hope I have is that God will answer my fervent prayer and provide a way for me to have both an upright job with an upright employer and manage to cover the bases for my family.

I hope to be able to blog about my amazing new job in the near future! Until then, I'll keep praying and keep applying...

No comments:

Post a Comment