Sunday, February 20, 2011

Immune Boosters


My family has been sick lately. Really sick. Since Christmas, we've had a total of 10 separate illnesses between the five of us! It's ridiculous. I think if I had all the co-pays, lost work hours, and prescription fees that I've spent recently, I would be able to pay for a nice weekend get-a-way with my husband (which, according to some medical studies might actually improve my chances to fight illness.)
Since I avoid harsh chemicals and use only natural cleaning products, I thought it might be wise to "sterilize" my house. I broke down and bought Lysol and, trying not to breathe, cleaned every square inch that could be cleaned with it. I changed out my a/c filters, washed all bedding and made sure everyone was using anti-bacterial soap. To no avail, folks. At least no significant change in our health has been evident. I say this between sporadic coughs and with, yet another, low-grade fever.
I got to thinking that I should research how to "boost" our immune systems. After reading extensively, on Harvard University's medical website, I came to the realization that it's all a big mystery. There is no significant proof that diet, exercise, or stress-reduction have anything to do with the direct increase or decrease of immune response! There are promising studies, but ultimately nothing to hang your hat on. How crazy! I can walk into any store and find a myriad of immune-boosting remedies, vitamins, drinks, etc... and yet none of them have been PROVEN to work.
It got me to thinking about my "spiritual immune system." We, who are so quick to trust the latest health remedy, regardless of proven effectiveness, often overlook the proven "life-remedies" we have been given in the Word of God.
The Bible is full of information on the subject. From Proverbs, which is full of practical tips for living a good life, to Revelation which gives us insight into that which is to come. He didn't leave a thing out and there is no further proof required!
If sin is a terrible virus, God not only gave us excellent avoidance strategies, but He provided a CURE!
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23
It doesn't get any simpler than that. When I feel myself start to weaken spiritually, I know that the one and only remedy is to get into the Word and to pray.
It's amazing to me. There is no co-pay, no adverse side-effect, no risk of recurrence.... Nope.
It was finished.

If we had the cure for the common cold, influenza, or cancer, wouldn't we share it? We would surely receive awards and worldwide recognition, but even then, there is no promise of eternal life here on earth!

Such a precious gift we have in our Lord and Savior. It makes me want to "immunize" the world! Unfortunately, many willingly choose not to open the Word. They deny the cure altogether.
That is the only catch. Each person must accept Christ for His cure to work. It would be far better to live a life on this earth with cancer or another horrible ailment, then to deny the eternal life promised to each of us if we choose to accept it. Yet so many do just that.
It's no wonder that the last thing Jesus asked people to do before he ascended to Heaven was to go into the world and spread the "cure." (my paraphrase of Mark 16:15)

I think, rather than praying for a better earthly immune-system, I'm going to start praying for more opportunities to spread the good news that there is an eternal cure for all who accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment